Thursday, December 15, 2005

Confessions of a steamy kind...

O what a fall was there my countrymen (and countrywomen too – who Shakespeare conveniently forgot)...

For this night, I have committed a crime.

A folly for which I will perhaps curse myself forever. They say it takes 20 years to build a reputation, and only 20 minutes to destroy it. I mean, I had everything going for me – a decent past, a decent school and perhaps a decent girl ahead... But out of desperation, I laid everything on the line tonight as I stooped so low into uncharted depths...

I found out tonight that it is this urge for sudden gratification that leads men to such transgressions. But I had never thought in my life that I would be one of them. A perfect gentleman, yes, that’s how I looked upon myself; and look what I’ve done... I’ve fallen... Gone so far away from my ideals, from all that my mother taught me, from all that people around me expected of me...

What will my (future) wife and kids think when they find out about this night? Will I be able to keep a straight face then? For years to come, I shall remember this – the night I read Sidney Sheldon...
I could have re-read “The Fury”, I could have re-read “An Equal Music”, I could have re-read “Memoirs of a Geisha”, I could have re-read... anything... But just because I had nothing new to read, I picked up a Sheldon novel? How shameful, how disgraceful? That’s all the patience I’ve got? That’s as far as my morals go?

I shall just pray that I am able to forgive the sins of this night by the time the first rays of dawn hit the ground...